Thursday, November 1, 2012

Driving around town… What’s your MPG?

From Car and Driver:
“Starting [in 2010] with 2011 models, the federal government’s fuel-economy standards, which have sat frozen for years, are going to get a big-time thaw—the biggest change since the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) (http://www.nhtsa.gov/fuel-economy) law was created in 1975. The average fuel economy for cars must improve from the current 27.5 mpg, where it has been since 1990, to 37.8 mpg by 2016. The truck standard has to rise from 23.5 mpg to 28.8.”

I drive a Toyota Prius. When I bought it five years ago, I was driving a vehicle that needed premium gas, got only about 23 MPG highway, and with all of the driving I was doing for my job at the time, I was shelling out a good $60 a week. (Probably about $65-$70 in today’s gas prices.) With some patient driving in my Prius, I can get about 48-52 MPG around town and about 45 MPG on the highway, saving me nearly half on my gas bill each month.

It’s not the newest model, but I still get asked fairly often about my car. People stop me at gas stations and ask questions. They want to know if I like it and what kind of MPG I get on the road. I love my car. But some people need a bigger car. Some people just LIKE bigger cars! I will be happier when the MPG standards improve so that we can make better, more environmentally responsible options with our vehicles at a lower cost.

Each gallon of gas your car burns emits just shy of 20 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions. With NCGreenPower Carbon Offsets, you can support a local project that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and not feel so bad about your daily 30 mile commute to work or school! A donation of only $4 a month will support the mitigation of harmful GHGs from one of our local projects like a hog lagoon or landfill that is preventing the release of methane gas.

So if a hybrid or plug-in electric vehicle isn’t for you, at least be a responsible driver and heed these green driving tips for saving on MPGs and help the environment. 

No comments: