Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bring Your Lunch!


Bring Your Lunch!
Bring your lunch… Eat theFood! I’ll never get tired of that clip from Napoleon Dynamite… Okay sorry, back to my point.

Talking your lunch to work or school is not only better on the wallet (you will save from $1,000-$2,000 per year!), it’s better on your waistline and the environment. But you don’t have to limit yourself to pb&j or canned tuna. Health Magazine has put together some healthy lunch options that are quite creative. Three good tips I’ll pass along from my experience are:

  1. Plan ahead. Take the time to make a good grocery list to cover you for the week and choose things you don’t mind eating more than once.
  2. Prep the night before. I can’t tell you how many times I have scrambled to throw together a good lunch at 8:45am when I should have already left for work. Take 10 minutes the night before to pack your bag.
  3. Prep in bulk. My goal is to put together at least 3 to 4 lunches on Sunday night. This past Sunday I prepped 3 and brought my lunch 2 days so far this week. (YAY ME!) I made a corn, black bean, avocado, grape tomato and grilled asparagus salad. (Similar to this recipe)
Don’t forget to bring healthy snacks, too, like natural almonds, Greek yogurt, whole fruits, crackers and hummus. That will hopefully keep you from hitting the vending machine!

Every day, more than 20 million sandwich bags from school lunches go into landfills in the U.S. (according to 3greenmoms). This week's prize will hopefully encourage more people to bring their lunch. Pledge to bring your lunch and be entered to win $20 worth of LunchSkin products of your choice.  

Won’t you take the pledge, too? You can read more about our Friday Freebie contests here. Enter on Facebook by stating your pledge on our wall, or answering the poll at the top. If you are a Twitter follower, simply state “I pledge to bring my lunch!”



No comments: